Cerenorm

29 May 23:22

The Severan Bridge

TR > Adıyaman Province > Kâhta

The Severan Bridge (Cendere Köprüsü) is a late Roman bridge located near the ancient city of Arsameia (today Eskikale), 55 km (34 mi) north east of Adıyaman in southeastern Turkey. It spans the Cendere Çayı (Chabinas Creek), a tributary of Kâhta Creek, on provincial road 02-03 from Kâhta to Sincik in Adıyaman Province. This bridge was described and pictured in 1883 by archeologists Osman Hamdi Bey and Osgan Efendi.
The bridge is constructed as a simple, unadorned, single majestic arch

on two rocks at the narrowest point of the creek. At 34.2 m (112 ft)

clear span, the structure is quite possibly the second largest extant

Roman arch bridge. It is 120 m (390 ft) long and 7 m (23 ft) wide.

The bridge was rebuilt by the Legio XVI Gallica, garrisoned in the ancient city of Samosata (today Samsat) to begin a war with Parthia. Commagenean cities built four Corinthian columns on the bridge, in honor of the Roman Emperor Lucius Septimius Severus (193–211), his second wife Julia Domna, and their sons Caracalla and Publius Septimius Geta as stated on the inscription in Latin on the bridge.

Two columns on the Kâhta side are dedicated to Septimius Severus

himself and his wife, and two more on the Sincik side are dedicated to

Caracalla and Geta, all in 9–10 m in height. Geta's column, however, was

removed after his assassination by his brother Caracalla, who damned Geta's memory and ordered his name to be removed from all inscriptions.

The Severan Bridge is situated within one of the most important national parks in Turkey, which contains Nemrut Dağı with the famous remains of Commagene civilization on top, declared as World Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

In 1997, the bridge was restored. Vehicular traffic was restricted to

5 tons or less. The bridge is now closed to vehicles, and a new road

bridge has been built 500 m (550 yd) east of the old bridge.